Aglane? Langes?

Hmmm, unlike loads of clever bloggers, I seem to be struggling to find a way to name the Frankenstein pattern I’ve made!

It is a mix of the Agnes top from Tilly and the Buttons:

(photo from Tilly and the Buttons website)

with the newly released Lane dress from Seamwork:

(photo from Seamwork website)

Clearly I should have chosen different patterns so they would make a better, snazzier, blended name. Happily, the blending of the patterns themselves was a lot more successful!

I have been mulling over a design in my head for a while now. I wanted a short, fitted dress, with ties at the side that pull the dress in a little / create shape. But not a wrap dress, just with the ties sewn into the sides. I wanted it to have a scoop neck and short sleeves with a ruched / puffed detail. I had already decided that Agnes would be a great starting point for the sleeves and neck and had thought I would blend it with my knit skirt sloper for the skirt part. I had bought the fabric I wanted for it, a ponte Roma from Minerva Crafts in the colour ‘denim’. I really like it and felt it would be perfect for the sort of look I was after (link here if anyone is interested, not an affiliate one: Ponte Roma in denim colour)

And then, lo and behold, one of the patterns that Seamwork released for May is the Lane dress, a lovely looking style with princess seams and the perfect waist ties I had been dreaming of. It is a longer length than I wanted but that is easily fixed. But no sleeves. So I figured I could have a go at adding the Agnes sleeves. My rudimentary pattern drafting knowledge meant I was vaguely aware sleeveless bodices and sleeved bodices have a few drafting differences and that drafting sleeves is a bit technical. But I figured using the rouched version of Agnes would mean I could just gather more or less of the sleeve head to fit the armhole.

Through sheer luck, this turned out to be the case and I didn’t have any problems getting the sleeves in. And they look exactly as I’d wanted. Hooray!

However, when it was mostly constructed I tried it on and the dress itself didn’t look that great. It wasn’t shaped enough under my bust so it wasn’t very flattering and the waist ties consequently looked too high and bulky. Plus the length was still too long and made it look a tad frumpy. And the scoop neck wasn’t the right shape / size for me either.

I was disappointed but decided to hack away and see what I could do to improve it. I figured I had nothing to lose…

I cut off the neckband (and I don’t mean unpicked it, I just cut off the whole thing along with the bit of the bodice it was attached to). I then cut a bigger, more scooped neckline, measured that and cut a new neckband which was 15% shorter.

I took in more of the princess seams under the bust and I shortened the skirt length further.

And with these three changes I finally had pretty much the dress I had imagined and been trying to achieve.

It’s safe to say this won’t be my last one of this dress. I just have to work out what to call it…

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s