(Oh dear, that sounds a bit like one of Richard Curtis’s less successful film titles. Ah well!)
At the moment I have a lots of projects lined up in my ‘to make’ queue and I’ve been mulling over what I should start on next. Should I tackle one of the tricky trousers or jeans projects? Or start on the wearable toile of the Kew dress by Nina Lee that I can’t wait to try? Or be a bit more practical and sew up some more basics that I can add to my everyday wardrobe?
I decided to put off a) for just a little longer and to wait for the weather to improve before starting b) (the snow that appeared at the weekend vindicated that decision!). Which left c).
I bought some lovely deep blue – grey marl jersey from Girl Charlee at the Knitting & Stitching Show the other week, so decided I would whip up another Agnes top, given how much I love wearing my blue striped one.
The joy of this pattern + that I have made a few of these and other jersey tops meant it took me less than two hours from start to finish, including cutting out. A very satisfying, quick sew.
Feeling on a roll, I decided to crack on with the next version of the Astoria sweater I had planned, using the gorgeous grey Atelier Brunette sweatshirt material I had bought for it.
I graded down the side seams and shoulders a touch, to account for me being a bit smaller since making the last one. And then with a deep breath I cut into the meltingly soft material. And again, hurrah, it sewed up very easily in under two hours. I did the same 2.5 inch lengthening and dartless FBA (full bust adjustment) that I made to the last version and with these I love the feel and fit of this top. I have worn it twice since making it already – a definite wardrobe staple.
Ooh, pretty spots 😄
At this point I thought hey, let’s just keep going! I had pre-ordered the new Tilly and the Buttons ‘Stretch’ book as soon as I heard about it and when it arrived last week I devoured it cover to cover in one sitting. Since then I have had ideas buzzing around my head as to what patterns I would make from the book. I thought the Freya top (with the extended polo neck) would be a fantastic pattern to use with some navy merino jersey I have from The Fabric Store (in NZ). Something snugly and warm for winter, which clearly has no plans to go anywhere.
I wanted to check the fit first before using the merino jersey though, so I used a bit of fabric from a larger piece of blue / sea green jersey that I bought from Minerva Crafts a while back. I should check how much I actually used as there is still loads left. I’m pretty sure the top took a little less than the fabric requirements given for the pattern.
Even with tracing and grading the pattern between the sizes I needed, it was still around two hours to make this. Not, I hasten to add, because of any particular sewing skills on my part, but because Tilly’s patterns and instructions are awesome and the construction is similar to the Agnes top, so I was on familiar ground.
This was meant to be a wearable toile (I’m such a fan of those!) but it fits beautifully and I completely love it! The colour and weight / feel of this jersey works surprisingly well with this pattern, considering it was just a random bit from my stash. I will definitely be making more tops using this pattern – and am now musing what else I can make with the rest of this fabric!
Happily, it also looks nice with the necklace that was part of the prompt for considering making a polo top in the first place. Trinny and Susannah probably wouldn’t approve though.
Seeing as these tops came together so quickly, I realised I might be able to squeeze one more make into this surprisingly productive week. Now that I have my new revised skirt sloper to play around with, I thought I would make another easy pegged mini (ish) skirt from a very cheap piece of fabric I bought on impulse from Minerva Crafts a while back. I’m not sure I could pull this design off with other sorts of patterns (shiny velour animal print might be a tad Bet Lynch!) but I thought it would work on me as a simple skirt.
With no vent and only a simple overlocked stretch lining, this skirt is pretty quick to make too. However, I have clearly mucked up when measuring my waistband sloper piece, as somehow it seems to be half an inch smaller than the top of the skirt. Which of course I only realised when I came to sew it to the already cut and constructed skirt pieces. I had the choice of recutting another waistband and interfacing or cutting the centre back pieces of the skirt down by the half inch. I went for the latter option and hoped the skirt wouldn’t end up too tight! Diet incentive if so…
I doubt I’ll have such a productive week again for a while, but I’m pretty chuffed to have four more things to add to my ‘me made’ wardrobe – and such practical, easy-wearing ones as these too.